I freakin’ LOVE this company! I really do. I have made over $100 in the last year by simply turning off a few lights for one hour just a few times a week. It is SO easy! Not only am I conserving unnecessary energy (which translates to a lowered electricity bill), I am doing good for the environment (more on this later) and I’m getting paid for it with real cash! Plus, it’s easy to do. The only downside is this incredible service is currently available to California residents only (More states will be opening up!).
If you are a CA resident, you HAVE to sign up! For real. I don’t say that lightly. You are otherwise missing out on one of the coolest Free services that will make you easy money and you’ll be helping the environment. You can make $100-$300 per year! I’ll go into more details below of what it is, how to sign up, how it works and my personal experiences.
Sign up at the page I linked to here and you’ll receive a $10 ‘Welcome Bonus.’ Once you get setup, you’ll also receive an offer to pick up a smart plug for $10 and then receive a $10 rebate when you connect it to their service. You basically get a $10 welcome plus, plus a free smart plug when you sign up.
Here’s What To Do to Get a FREE $10 & Start Earning When You Conserve Energy:
- Click here to create a New Account
- Tip: You’ll need this referal link for your FREE $10
- Enter your zip and email. Follow the steps to create a new account.
- Make sure to link your utility account. Currently, it works with PG&E, SCE and SDG&E
OhmConnect is Free to use. Your utility service remains completely unaffected and you can opt-out at any time. You earn points (redeemable for cash) for your #ohmHours participation. You’ll receive about 1 or 2 #OhmHour a week via email and text. Use the time to relax, be with family, read or go for a walk.
How Does This Work?
- Monitoring – Ohmconnect connects and monitors real-time conditions on the electricity grid. When too much energy is being used in your area, dirty and unsustainable power plants are turned on to support this usage.
- Notification – We get a notification via text message or email when our home has been detected for using energy from unsustainable sources. This isn’t our home’s fault. This just means many homes in our area are using electricity at the same time and the sustainable power plant that supports our area can no longer meet the demand.
- Save – For about 30-60 mins, you can choose to save some unnecessary energy usage. Turning off lights, turn off the TV, etc. By choosing to save energy at that time, the state does not have to turn on additional power plants that are bad for the environment and California’s electricity market (energy authorities) pay for this. This time is known as #OhmHour
- Get Paid – Receive up $100-$300 per year, plus do something good for the environment! Seriously, win-win.
My Personal Experience
I have been a member for about a year now and I actively participate every week (Mainly because I didn’t know I had the option to opt-out until now. lol. As such, I’ve been part of every #OhmHour. I’m telling you, it’s easy. In this case, ignorance was a blessing. I don’t want to miss them now!)
Below is a screenshot of my own #OhmHour Performance from one week. Keep in mind 100 points is equivalent to $1.00 in earnings. In this one week, I participated in 3 events by turning off lights we didn’t need for an hour and I made $5.63! So easy. It might not seem like a lot of money but it does add up over time! Seriously, I’ll take a Free $5 any day, okay? If you have $5 laying around you don’t need, feel free to send them my way! 😉 Plus, you’re helping the environment and lowering your own energy bill.
They usually email you once a day or a few hours ahead of time to let you know when the next #OhmHour will be for your area. You’ll also get a text message 10 mins before it starts as a reminder. When the hour is over, you’ll get an email letting you know.
Participating in an #OhmHour is extremely easy. Once I get the text reminder, I usually flip off extra lights we’re not using, turn off the heater, turn off the TV, stop the dishwasher. My family often uses this time as an opportunity to do fun board games together. We’ll gather at the dinner table (so we can turn off lights in all other rooms). Sometimes my kids will draw next to us at the table, while I attempt to beat my husband in a few games of Backgammon with a glass of wine. I always lose. lol
You also have the option to opt out of #OhmHour up to 15 mins before the hour starting, by clicking on the link in your notification. I just learned this. Sweet!
I cannot express how much I love this company. It’s innovative, supports the environment and rewards its users for doing good. Plus, the family cozy time are just bonuses on top. Click here to see if your area qualifies. If your utility company qualifies, do it! Just do it. You can thank me later. 🙂